Entry #3






Genre: MG Sci-Fi

Title: FORT SMYTHE AND THE RUBY HEART

Word Count: 54,000

Hogwarts HouseSlytherin – Because he’s the coolest. And the snarkiest.

Pitch: A sucktastic viral exposé of Fort’s fake arm leads to his parents’ abduction. After a ruby heart activates his prosthesis’ bionic powers, he decides to rescue them, while accompanied by a trio of catfighting acquaintances.

First 250 words:

I was born without a left arm. That’s it. That’s all. Nothing more. No fascinating fable of ER woe or gory anguish like, ‘Yeah, I tripped just when a steamroller drove by at three miles per hour.’ No outlandish, tall tale that starts with, ‘Bathsheba the tiger at the San Diego zoo bounded out of her enclosure and tried to rip my CrunchO-NutO bar out of my hand. What? Of course I remember every second of it.’

It’s fun(ish) being yours truly, Fort Smythe.

Not(ever).

You might think I have a superpower. But all I have is a somewhatsuperbodypart. A metal arm to substitute what would have been empty space and a serious hit on my center of gravity.

Because, you know, missing arm. And my prosthesis isn’t even bionic. Sure I can flex the fake metallic fingers. Kinda. I can’t do one-handed somersaults. At least not until my dad perfects his programming. I still have trouble grasping on to stuff.

There’s a bit more to the story. Or a bit less, if I’m being literal. My entire upper-body is encased in the same anodized aluminum. Apparently, I was missing a good chunk of left shoulder too and my dad thought it was best to cover me up so he could anchor my arm onto a solid foundation.
Whatever. My biggest concern now is hunger.

I stick my head out the doorway. “Mommmmmmmm? Can you bring up some food, pleeeeeeease? Need to get started on homework before NASA starts shuttling people to Mars!”



Other Team Hufflepuff Entries:



ADULT: THE ORCHID GIRL'S CHASE

YA: BRAIN DAMAGE


YA: CUSTODIAN


YA: HER GOLDEN CRIMES


YA: THE DROWNING OF MOLLY WHITFORD


YA: THE G.A.P. PROJECT


YA: THE DEVIL DON'T LOVE YOU


YA: ECHO CHAMBER HEIST




Request System:


10 Points – Query and first 10 pages = Petrificus Totalus
25 Points – Query and first 25 pages = Protego
50 Points – Query and first 50 pages = Stupefy
100 Points – Query and first 100 pages = Sectumsempra
200 Points – Query and full = Expelliarmus

1 comment:

  1. Posting on behalf of Laurie McLean:

    Expelliarmus!

    ReplyDelete

Instagram

@kymburleevan