My fabulous friend Stephanie  posted this photo on my facebook wall the other day, and her timing could not have been better. Because I h...

Cumulative Awesomeness Cumulative Awesomeness

Cumulative Awesomeness

Cumulative Awesomeness


My fabulous friend Stephanie posted this photo on my facebook wall the other day, and her timing could not have been better. Because I had, in fact, spent the day being awesome. The house was decently tidy, the floor had been mopped (and then spilled on - three times even), I'd written two chapters, I laughed when the baby unrolled the toilet paper roll (a daily occurrence these days), tore it into bits, and then scattered those bits all over the house (included the stairs I had just vacuumed).

I made dinner, out of REAL food even, answered all the emails in my inbox, and did awesome supermom-ish type stuff with my girls.

Frankly, I was EXHAUSTED by the time the kids' bedtime rolled around. And I got this idea in my head that because I had succumbed to exhaustion (and curled up in bed with a book the SECOND the kids were all tucked in), that I suddenly wasn't awesome anymore. Which is ridiculous. I had done amazing things that day! Okay, maybe not amazing. Really, I just overcame my inborn laziness, triumphed over apathy, and maintained my sanity despite a day of hard work and children who seemed determined to undo everything I accomplished. No, I take it back. I did AMAZING things.

So why, at the end of that day, did I feel so inadequate? Why did I feel like I'd abandoned awesomeness just because, what, I'd decided to lie down and have a rest?

VanderVision Tip of the Day: Awesomeness is cumulative. Have you read Daring Young Mom's post on the subject? Once you've put a drop of awesome in your bucket, IT STAYS THERE. Trust me, it's a sturdy metal bucket. That awesomeness isn't going anywhere. It doesn't evaporate the second you slow down. It ACCUMULATES.

I was really awesome again this morning, and then this afternoon? Meh. Not so much. I didn't fold the laundry like I planned. I did some writing, I did some reading. I snuggled some kids. It was a laid-back, unambitious, relaxing sort of day. And really, that's a special kind of awesome all of its own, but the point I'm making is that I did a lot this morning. I got my house tidy, I swept, I scrubbed, I made lunch for a friend. I was patient and loving with my kids. I wrote cheery emails to friends and I finished the third draft of my book.

So no matter when I toss in the towel tonight, all that awesomeness remains. And tomorrow, I'll add some more. Life's complicated sometimes, but some things are simple like that.

1 comment:

  1. Very true . . . awesomeness is cumulative . . . and you've got it in spades, m'dear! :) Wishing you a day of even MORE awesome tomorrow . . . and always! :)

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.