So I suffer from this crazy delusion (you know, as opposed to my sane delusions - of which there are MANY) that I am capable of coming up...

Life is Like Lego Life is Like Lego

Life is Like Lego

Life is Like Lego


So I suffer from this crazy delusion (you know, as opposed to my sane delusions - of which there are MANY) that I am capable of coming up with a story idea that NO ONE has ever thought of before. And when Grace Armstrong came to life in my mind and whispered to me that she had been seeing monsters in every reflection her whole life? I thought, wow. NAILED IT.

But this morning I decided to update the photos on my twitter account. I'm in a writing groove at the moment, totally immersed in drafting The Boy in the Mirror, so I searched for images of mirrors, creepy mirrors, monster mirrors. That's when Grover made his appearance and the song, "Monster in the Mirror" starting playing in my head VERY loudly. And I thought, crap. Beaten out by a fuzzy blue puppet. Just my luck.

And I actually let myself feel a little discouraged. For like, ten whole minutes. Until I remembered something very important . . .

VanderVision Tip of the Day: Life is like Lego. We all have our own tub, full of everything we've experienced, thought, remembered, or imagined. Some of the pieces in our tub? They match the pieces in other people's tubs. And we can look at what they've built and say, dang, they used the same piece I used, guess I'll give up now. Or we can say, wow, look at the completely different amazing thing I made with the same pieces as that person. How awesome is that?

So I'm going to tip my hat to Grover, except not really because I look absolutely horrid in hats, and I'm going to build my own kind of awesome with one of the same pieces he used (yes, I know it wasn't Grover himself who wrote the song, I'm not THAT mental - he has people who do that kind of thing for him, right?).

My monsters don't sing though. Just so we're clear.

What are you going to build today?

2 comments:

  1. I love this so much. Today I am going to build math problems. I am not going to let little mistakes get me down. I will own my math classes this term.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well worded. Plus a good visual for this lego maniac. thanks for making me not think my writing sucks because Im sure someone else wrote something similar at some point!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.